Friday, September 6, 2013

Beware of OEM codes when buying tires!

I recently discovered that the highly-rated (by Consumer Reports, Tire Rack and people who own them) Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires don't grip well in case of my 2004 Infiniti G35. Some time squeal in turns and during braking later and after some due head scratching, I think I found the issue.

Apparently the tire size I got (P215/55R17 93V) has a "T" code, which means it is designed for Toyota and therefore is optimized for Toyota Camry. So I shopped for a well-rated tire and got a Prius tire instead, unwittingly. That is quite lame.

There is a lesson here. If you are shopping for an aftermarket tire, make sure you don't get a tire with an OEM designation other than for your own car. As for my situation, the tires are smooth, provide comfortable ride and excellent fuel economy. So I will moderate my driving a bit and make sure I don't have them squeal in turns and under braking.

No comments:

Post a Comment