Friday, August 10, 2018

Selecting a Trunk Liner for 2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In

A month ago I bought a 2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Touring. Whenever I buy a car, I immediately buy a trunk liner to avoid grocery and other spills from becoming stains and smells.

There just was one problem this time. The factory/OEM trunk liner is expensive, at $100+, which is expected and not really a problem. But unlike the previous Honda liners I bought for a couple of different Accords, the trunk liner for Clarity is the same for all three variants: Hydrogen Fuel Cell model, Electric (BEV) and the Plug-in. And because the former two have bigger humps in the forward portion of the trunk (to hold the hydrogen tank or extra battery) than my plug-in, the liner is too small for my use. It covers only the rearmost portion of the trunk.

In order to cover the entire floor of the trunk, including the raised front portion, I needed a properly-sized liner. And seems nobody makes Clarity-specific liners. I checked the usual suspects, including WeatherTech. And in the end, I decided to get a universal liner and trim it as needed.

WeatherTech universal liner listed as fitting Clarity on their web site would have been too small. And it is pricey. So I got another liner from Amazon, which only required trimming the two corners with scissors, It is thick enough to be sturdy yet thin enough to protect the walls of the trunk a little. And it has spikes on the bottom to prevent the liner from sliding around. Here is the liner (click on it to view it on Amazon):

It did smell like oil for a few days, but now the smell has faded. Very happy overall. It doesn't slide and the cost was much lower than what I expected or was prepared to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment