Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Dorco Stailness Platinum Double Edge Blades ST-301 - Cheap and Good in a Correct Razor


Having used safety razors with double edge blades for over two years, I recently decided to try a bunch of new (to me) blades. I briefly used Schick Hydro 3 Blade Razor, Schick Hydro 5 Blade Razor, Gillette Fusion, Gillette Fusion Power and Gillette Fusion ProGlide in the past. While doing so, I discovered that I could get a much better shave with cartridge systems than with various Panasonic electric shavers, but with some skin irritation and at cartridge prices that I was not willing to pay. To get a better shave than what an electric shaver gave me but with less irritation, I started using double-edge (DE) safety razors and have been using them with mostly with Shark Super Chrome blades and Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades.

I mostly use the mild Lord L6 and moderate Edwin Jagger De89bl razors. I use a badger hair brush and shaving soap. Note that different skin and beard types respond better to different blades and the combination of the razor with the blade matters as well. Lord L6 is pretty mild razor and I tend to get best results with sharp blades. I had good results with Shark Super Chrome blades in the past, but lately got even better results with Personna and Gillette 7 O’clock Sharp Edge blades.

I was unimpressed with Astra Superior Platinum, and now it is the turn of Dorco Platinum ST-301.

What is Dorco Stainless Platinum ST-301 Double Edge Razor Blade

The Dorco blades are made in Korea. They are double-edge stainless steel blades. The blades I got come in 10-blade plastic dispensers with a used blade disposal slot. They are single-wrapped with no sign of glue.

Convenience

Unlike Astra and 7 O’clock and, to a smaller extent, Derby and Shark, these blades have no glue on them whatsoever, which is nice.

Performance 

After excellent Personna blades that lasted me 6-8 shaves and provided smooth and lose shave, these Dorco blades were disappointing at first. Although they are moderately smooth, they seemed to be the dullest blade I have tried so far in the mild Lord L6. The first blade loaded into the L6 pulled and was barely usable. However when I loaded another blade into a more aggressive Edwin Jagger De89bl razor, the results improved dramatically. In the EJ these feel like a smooth (albeit not very sharp) blads that resulted in a close shave with virtually no irritation.

I have delicate skin yet tough beard, which is a difficult combination when it comes to shaving. I find that the mild Lord L6 razor with a sharp blade works great. But this Dorco, while didn't work well in a mild razor, worked well in a more aggressive EJ.

1. In a mild razor, Dorco blades pull more than most blades I used so far, especially after the first use.  In a more aggressive razor, they are smooth and feel moderately sharp.
2. Due to the aforementioned, I couldn’t use the Dorco for more than 3 shaves in the L6 and actually prefer not to use them for over one shave at most. In contrast, I get at least 6-8 shaves (3 passes each) from Personna, 1-2 from Astra, 4-5 from Gillette 7 O’clock, 4-5 from Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades and 5-6 from Shark Super Chrome blades. But in the Edwin Jagger De89bl this blade lasted several shaves.
3. Overall, Dorco blades turned out to be almost unusable for me in the L6 and quite pleasant in the EJ.

Be mindful that the results depend on the type of the beard and skin.

Value

You can buy 100 of these for less than 10 dollars. If they work for your skin/beard type, it is an excellent deal. Some people find this blade to be perfect in a moderately aggressive razor, such as Edwin Jagger De89bl and I concur that these Dorcos work well in the EJ.

Pros: Cheap, no glue, good dispenser, work well in a more aggressive razor
Cons: Too dull to be used in a mild razor, need aggressive razor to shine

Bottom Line 

For me, Dorco Stainless Steel Razor Blades ST-301 didn’t work well in a mild razor, but worked well in the more aggressive Edwin Jagger De89bl. Moderately smooth, they are not very sharp. I still find that Personna Double Edge Razor Blades are much better, for not much more money. They are sharper and last much longer. But in a moderately aggressive razor, the Dorco ST301 work really well.

Next up is the review of the Japanese Feather Hi-Stainless blades, considered to be sharpest blades in existence.

My web site

No comments:

Post a Comment