Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Edwin Jagger De89bl Double Edge Safety Razor - Solid, Beautiful Looks and Performance

Edwin Jagger De89bl Double Edge Safety Razor Reviewed by Dmiko on .

Three years ago I switched from Panasonic electric shavers to double-edge shaving, briefly trying Schick Hydro 3 Blade Razor, Schick Hydro 5 Blade Razor, Gillette Fusion, Gillette Fusion Power and Gillette Fusion ProGlide. I discovered that I could get a much better shave with cartridge systems, but with some skin irritation and at cartridge prices that I was not willing to pay. To get a better shave than what an electric shaver gave me but with less irritation, I started using double-edge (DE) safety razors and have been using them with Shark Super Chrome blades, Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades and Astra Superior Platinum


For two years I have been using a TTO (twist to open) Parker 86R shaver. Then I decided to try a better razor as I discovered that the Parker was not centering the blade well, which also made its overall performance suspect. I noticed that the shaves I was getting were seemingly not as good as before. 

I bought a couple of new razors: Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L aka L6 and this Edwin Jagger De89bl (De89 is the model and letters after it indicate the kind of handle it has). The DE89 sell for $32-40 and I bought mine for $28.

I use the razors along with a badger hair brush and shaving soap. Note that different skin and beard types respond better to different blades and different razor aggressiveness levels. The Edwin Jagger De89 is considered to have medium aggressiveness. 

What is Edwin Jagger De89

The Edwin Jagger De89 is a double-edge razor that fits all standard double-edge blades, claims to shave as close as a straight razor, provide excellent balance. It has a classic closed comb head and a highly polished chrome plated solid brass tubular handle, 

In Use 

The razor is heavy, very solidly built and has the most beautiful chrome finish of any object I have seen. It is a 3-piece design, which requires you to completely unscrew the handle from the head to replace the blade. While this is not as quick or convenient as TTO designs, it is more solid, durable and precise. 

While the handle is shorter than what I am accustomed to, it doesn’t pose problems. The aggressiveness level seems to be perfect for my skin and beard type. I am able to get closer shave than with Parker, faster and with less irritation. 

The balance of this razor feels just right and it has an overall feel of a precision instrument. The handle is pretty smooth, but it is not slippery, unless you hand is wet an soapy. The razor is heavy and built like a tank.

I have used a variety of blades in this razor: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, Shark Super Chrome, Astra Superior Platinum, Feather Hi-Stainless Double Edge Blade, Wilkinson Sword Classic, Dorco Stailness Platinum ST-301, Personna Double Edge Blades and Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge. 

Unlike the mild Lord L6 razor I also use, which requires sharpest blades to perform its best, this EJ razor works well with blades that are not necessarily the sharpest, but the ones that are smooth. For example, Dorco Stailness Platinum ST-301 blades don't work for me in the mild L6 razor at all. They pull and irritate. But in this Edwin Jagger, they are smooth and produce a close shave.

Sharp blades work in the EJ well too, but the sharpest of them all, Feather Hi-Stainless Double Edge Blade, works well only when you pay very close attention. This is the only blade I have ever cut myself with and it happened with this razor. A few times I got an excellent, fast and close shave with this combination, then one day I repeatedly cut myself in the lower lip/chin area and bled all over the place. So from now on, I will be using the EJ with blades other than Feather and remaining Feather blades will be used in the mild Lord L6. Or maybe I will try again and pay attention :)

Pros: Solid, beautiful looks and performance, precise, balanced, works well with almost all blades.
Cons: Not as easy to replace the blade as in TTO designs.

Bottom Line
  
The Edwin Jagger De89bl is an excellent razor. It is beautiful to look at and to use. Perfectly balanced and medium-aggressive, it provides me with a close shave, fast. I highly recommend it.

Rating: 5 stars out of 5.


My web site

No comments:

Post a Comment