Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Razor Blade - Sharp Enough and Smooth Enough


After using various electric shavers for over 10 years, I switched to double-edge safety razor shaving, briefly trying Schick Hydro 3 Blade Razor, Schick Hydro 5 Blade Razor, Gillette Fusion, Gillette Fusion Power and Gillette Fusion ProGlide in the interim. That switchover happened over two years ago. Double-edge shaving gives me a closer shave than that with an electric shaver but with less irritation than cartridge systems. After using Shark Super Chrome blades and Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, I tried a variety of different blades, last of which was Wilkinson Sword Classic blades made in Germany.

I mostly use the Lord L6 and Edwin Jagger De89bl 3-piece razors with a TTO Parker 86R being on standby. I use a badger hair brush and shaving soap for prep and an alum block, witch hazel and after-shave lotion after the shave.

Note that different skin and beard types respond better to different blades and the combination of the razor with the blade matters as well. Lord L6 is pretty mild razor and I tend to get best results with sharp blades. I had good results with Shark. Shark Super Chrome blades are sharper than Derby, last longer and pull less. I then tried Astra Superior Platinum, which in my case turned out to be Inferior rather than Superior. Despite being highly regarded on various shaving forums, they proved to be the worst for my skin/beard type in my razors. Irritation, tugging and pulling and poor packaging were noted.

I then tried Gillette 7 O’clock Sharp Edge, which were very sharp but lasted only 3-4 shaves. Then I tried Personna blades, which were excellent, providing a close shave, no irritation and lasting for 6-8 shaves. Next were Dorco ST-301, which turned out to be too dull for me. Finally, I tried the Wilkinson Sword and the Feather Hi-Stainless.

What is Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Razor Blade

The Wilkinson Sword Classic blades are stainless-steel double-edge blades made in Germany. The edge is triple-coated: with chromium to resist corrosion, ceramic for durability and PTFE for less irritation.

Convenience

Unlike Astra and 7 O’clock and, to a smaller extent, Derby and Shark, these blades have no glue on them, which is nice. They come in a sturdy plastic dispenser.

Performance

After using Dorco ST-301, these blades were a relief. They are sharper than Dorco and resulted in a closer shave with less pulling. Although they don’t shave as well as either Personna or Gilletter 7 O’clock Sharp Edge, neither do they cost as much (depending where you buy them).

I have delicate skin yet tough beard, which is a difficult combination when it comes to shaving. I find that the mild Lord L6 razor with a sharp blade works great.

1. These Wilkinson blades pull less than Derby or Dorco.
2. These blades pull very little when the beard is longer than a day old.
3. The longevity of these blades seems to exceed both Dorco and Astra. I will update this review once I complete the test of a couple of these in my razors.
4. Overall, Wilkinson Sword Classic blades provide me with a rather close shave, with little irritation.

The bottom line is this blade produces close enough shave with little irritation.

Be mindful that the results depend on the type of the beard and skin.

Value

I bought 10 of these for $2.6 delivered. Not the cheapest, but less than the similar number of better blades such as Gillette 7 O’clock Sharp Edge. Of course, these blades are much cheaper than Gillette Fusion, Schick Hydro 5 or Schick Hydro 3. Try them and see if they suit your razors and skin/beard.

Pros: Rather close shave, little irritation, widely available, inexpensive
Cons: Not as sharp as Personna or Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge

Bottom Line

These blades work well enough, providing relatively close and low-irritation shave. But for me, Personna, Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge and Shark blades work better.

My web site

No comments:

Post a Comment