Monday, March 10, 2014

Averaging over 40 mpg in 2014 Honda Accord EX-L without really trying

When our 2007 Honda Accord VP was totaled in an accident, we bought the 2014 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4L 4-cylinder (non-hybrid). That car has a CVT transmission and is rated 27 mpg city and 36 mpg highway. Consumer Reports stated that they got 49 mpg in a CVT-equipped Accord at steady 55 mph and 42 mpg at 65 mph.

Today I drove to work starting off with a cold engine and driving on streets for 2 miles until I hit the freeway. The indicated mpg by that point was 17 mpg. Then, I drove 50 miles on the freeway with moderate traffic (some stop and go) and 2 more on the highway. The result way 40.4 mpg. And I didn't even use all of my techniques for maximizing fuel economy.

The CVT-equipped 4-cylinder Accord features direct injection, CVT transmission and low rolling resistance tires. In our case the tires are V-rated Goodyear Assurance FuelMax 215/55R17. Some models come with Michelin Primacy MXV4.

Update: I have since achieved as high as 44.5 mpg in the same commute. Pretty nice for a roomy non-hybrid sedan with 190 hp.

No comments:

Post a Comment