Thursday, May 23, 2013

Carlson Lightly Lemon Cod Liver Oil 300 Softgels - Vitamins, Omega 3 and Minerals


I have been taking fish oil capsules for several years, which resulted in much better HDL (a.k.a. good cholesterol) in my recent blood tests. I take the Kirkland Signature Fish Oil that is in the natural (trygliceride) form. But cod liver oil is even better as it has natural vitamin D (D3), minerals as well as the Omega-3 fatty acids. Although it is more expensive than the fish oil, I decided to get and start taking it. It is a known fact that we don’t get enough vitamin D from sun light exposure and vitamin D is essential in many functions, including calcium absorption. 

I did my research and chose this Carlson Lightly Lemon Cod Liver Oil. There are several reasons for this. This oil has no fishy aftertaste, but a lemony one (I noticed it when I took a couple of caplets at a time). This is not only good if you break the caplets and drink the oil, but also if you take them unbroken (which is most people would do). 

Second, this kind of cod liver oil contains no added vitamins (except for a modest amount of vitamin E, added as a preservative). This way you know that what you get is “the real deal” with excellent bioavailability. 

Third, unlike some other kinds, this cod liver oil doesn’t have excessive amounts of vitamin A, which can be toxic in large doses. 

Four, this oil is purified to remove toxins and heavy metals. 

And finally, at under $20 for a bottle of 300 capsules (1000 mg each), it is not a bad deal. I take 3 capsules a day on average. 




Effects 

I started taking these few months ago and I feel more energetic and more relaxed. Is this due to the placebo effect? Perhaps, but either way, cod liver oil is an excellent natural supplement and its vitamin D, Omega 3 PUFA and minerals are something we all need in our lives with low exposure to sun light, high Omega 6 loads in our diets and mineral-depleting grains. 

Next on my shopping list: cod liver canned in its own oil and fermented cod liver oil. Stay tuned.


Pros: Excellent balance of natural vitamin D, Omega 3 and minerals, lemon flavor, easy to swallow.
Cons: I wish it were cheaper; lacks vitamin A (so eat some carrots and beef/chicken liver too).

My web site 

No comments:

Post a Comment